Sunday, February 19, 2012

Miracles Happen

“Wake-up! Wake-up! He’s not breathing again! Hurry!” “Not again” “Get the inhaler. Hurry.” “Get Dana ready.” “Start the car.” “It’s 40 below.” “Get him out of the croup tent and let’s go Now! We have no time… Just wrap them in blankets…just hurry-up…”

This is how life was for a small family during the bitterly cold winter nights in Canada. 2 year old Jeremy would slowly stop wheezing and we would have to rush him to the hospital for still another shot of prednisone just to keep him alive. This is a very risky drug to use. It has many dangerous side effects. This is especially true for children. It seemed we had no choice.

His 3-month-old sister wasn’t much better. Her health was rapidly declining since breast-feeding stopped only 2 weeks ago. She had lost the sweet smell of a healthy baby’s forehead; she reeked of the worse sour milk imaginable. She didn’t smile or play, she didn't even cry.

My wife and I both had insomnia from working long hours during the day together with so many sleepless nights. We just didn’t know what we would ever do or we were beginning to wonder how we would survive it ourselves.

During those long sleepless nights, there isn’t much else to do but pray for the lives of your two small children. Earlier that day, I had just had Dana at the clinic again be. We followed the doctor’s past directions to try every formula on the market; which we did. This time the doctor said, “I’m sorry there is nothing else that can be done. I took her home and wondered how I could ever prepare myself for her to die in my arms.

That night I wondered and asked God again to spare my children of this burden and save Dana’s frail little life. She had become so very limp and almost lifeless. The formulas were not agreeing with her system at all. In fact, they were slowly killing her. She would never make it to Jeremy’s age at the rate she was declining.

I prayed with all my heart and soul for a Miracle to save my precious beautiful little daughter. It’s hard to tell if I’m sleeping or dreaming or kind of awake or remembering something from the distant past; something that has been long forgotten. With insomnia, it’s all kind of the same, day and night. There’s not much difference. It’s like living a nightmare; but is all seems so “unreal.”

All I know is that it was for sure dark very very dark that night. A very dark night for my soul. So very dark but I wasn’t scared; I was terrified. No…I was beyond terror, I was numb…my beautiful baby girl was dying right before my eyes. And our son was so very sick for so long. There was nothing anyone or I could do about it but pray; which I did. OMG did I pray, for hours…till maybe I fell asleep. I’m not sure.

Someone; so very much like my mother clearly came to mind through the fog and haze of my restless thoughts. I completely trust her. She said, “Sometimes parents have to put their kids on goat milk.” It’s unusual, but sometimes mom knows things like this. We had tried everything … I had nothing to lose but my daughter and I couldn’t let that happen, ever.

As soon as the sun was up, I got myself ready. I told my wife that I had to find goat milk for Dana. I didn’t know if it was even possible. I had never even seen a goat, except in a zoo. Did people really have goats and really milk them? These thoughts never crossed my mind. There was a part of me that just ‘knew’ this could and had to be done.

Early that afternoon, I came home with several plastic bags of raw goat milk. Some was still warm and others were frozen. Within a week, Dana’s energy and playfulness started to return and within a month, she was right back to her normal happy self. So remarkable was her recovery we put her brother on it too. He didn’t recover nearly as quickly as she had but the progress was steady and sure. I’ve never been so grateful in my life as I was that day when I first realized that both my children would be alright.

They were both what I have come to call, “lactose intolerant.” They got it from me. I had it too as a kid. croup, whooping cough, bronchitis; over and over again. My lungs still show the scars on x-rays and it slowed me down in sports.

But now, the important thing was that the kids are ok and still are to this day. We all have to watch our diets and limit the dairy products to occasionally. Dana has brought me two grandsons. Both are healthy. My son is an electrician and computer hack.

I told mom about a year later as we marveled at the dramatic recovery. She said, “Tim, I don’t think I even knew that.” So, who did I see in my ‘dream’?

Miracles happen.


I feel that every doctor on the planet should know this, but they don’t. I wonder how many children and parents suffer needlessly, some die... Be your own ‘health expert’ your life may depend upon it. And always remember to pray.

http://acim.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prednisone

No comments:

Post a Comment